Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Venice - a Way of Life.

Apologies for the long absence. I have been quite uninspired when it comes to blog topics, but today I have something amazing to talk about; Venice.

I spent the weekend there and cannot begin to tell you how awe-inspiring it was. I don't know about you, but when I used to think of Venice I used to imagine another tourist trap, teeming with gondolas and ignorant travellers. I couldn't have been more wrong.


The most amazing thing about Venice is not the architecture or the food, it's the way that Venetians live. There is a peace about the city unlike anywhere I have ever been. There are no cars and bikes are banned. This means that everyone has no choice but to walk everywhere. The young, the old, everyone. And let me tell you, there are a lot of stairs in Venice.


It is so wonderful to walk down the street at 10pm and still see young families with their children, and people walking their dogs. Although it is a tourist town, during this low season, it felt almost communal, and on several occasions I saw friends run into each other on the street.


The way that people live in Venice is so traditional that it makes it unlike anywhere else in the world. I am glad I went during the winter because I was able to see what Venice is like as a functioning town. There are no brutish sports bars, no congested roads, and no over crowded shopping malls. It is a much quieter and simpler way of life and I think that the rest of world could learn a thing or two from this popular tourist destination.

That's all from me for now. I hope you're enjoying your 2011 so far.

Love,

Ms Ivory

No comments: